- Amerex Model 681R Class D Copper Powder Wheeled Fire Extinguisher, 250 lb
CYBER SAVINGS: NIOSH-Approved N99 Masks for less than 60 cents! Get them now!
Class D wheeled extinguishers are ideal for large combustible metal fires. This Amerex model 681 extinguisher contains a copper extinguishing agent specially developed by the U.S. Navy for combating fires in lithium and lithium alloys. The copper compound smothers the fire and provides an excellent heat sink for dissipating the heat of the fire. It is the only known lithium fire fighting agent which will cling to a vertical surface, thus making it the preferred agent on three dimensional and flowing fires. Lith-X (item # 09451 or 09747) is another popular lithium extinguishing agent you may wish to consider. When selecting a copper agent extinguisher keep in mind:
- A 30 lb capacity handheld version of this extinguisher is available as item # 09592.
- Copper metal extinguishers are not recommended for use on lithium ion battery fires (lithium ion batteries do not contain lithium metal).
- Lith-X is another agent that works well on lithium fires; see item #'s 09451 and 09747. If your work does not involve lithium metal or lithium metal-containing batteries, alloys, chemicals etc., the less expensive sodium chloride extinguishers (item # 09582 and 09590) are a suitable alternative.
This extinguisher is well-balanced for quick transport on 36" (91 cm) diameter non-sparking, rubber-treaded steel wheels. The unit is pressurized with argon and regulated to a low 125 psi (861 kPa) to avoid disruption of the burning materials. FM approved. This unit comes with a wand applicator as shown here which is generally preferred as it permits the user to pile a thick layer of extinguishing agent on top of the fire. If you need standoff capability, a nozzle applicator with greater range is available by special order, however it is much harder to deposit the agent in a thick layer and may disrupt the burning material. Stationary design, non-sparking rubber tread wheels, and a pressure indicator are also available by special order.
A product data sheet is available. Although Amerex no longer posts it on their web site, they authored a technical note with practical information for using such extinguishers.
- Stainless Steel Collars
- Chrome Plated Brass Fill Caps
- Brass Hose Fittings
- Live Swivels on Discharge Valve Heavy Duty Steel Cylinder, Carriage, Hose Rack
- Aluminum UL/ULC Bilingual (English/Spanish) Nameplates with Bar Code
- Pictogram Instructional Label
- DOT/TC Argon Cylinder with Quick Opening Brass Valve
- Chrome Plated Brass Regulator
- 6 Year Warranty
|Amerex Model #||681R|
|Capacity||250 lb (113 kg)|
|Shipping Weight||544 lb (247 kg)|
|Height||52" (132 cm)|
|Width||28" (71 cm)|
|Depth||45" (114 cm)|
|Discharge time||120 seconds|
|Discharge range (wand application)||4 - 8 feet (1.3 - 2.6 m)|
|Discharge range (w/ nozzle)||20 - 30 feet (6.57 - 9.86 m)|
|Nitrogen cylinder||110 ft3 (3,115 liters)|
|Operating temperature range||-40 to 120 °F (-40 to 49 °C)|
|Safety Disc Burst Range||400 - 500 psi (2760 - 3450 kPa)|
|Hose Length||25 ft (7.7 m)|
|Hose Diameter||0.75" (1.9 cm)|
|Steel wheels||36" diameter x 2.5" w (91 x 6.4 cm)|
|Coast Guard Approved||No|
These extinguishers are not eligible for free shipping - a fixed shipping price of $175 per unit will be added to your invoice at checkout which is valid only for ground shipment within the lower 48 US states. If you need rush delivery or delivery outside this area, you can contact us before ordering, otherwise, we will contact you with the actual freight costs before processing your order. All nitrogen cylinder-operated wheeled extinguishers are shipped with the extinguishing agent in pails.