NEW! COVID-19 Products
Below are the available bulk discount rates for each individual item when you purchase a certain amount
- Buy 25 - 99 and get $6.00 off
- Buy 100 or above and get $11.00 off
Safer hands-on STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) is essential for every instructor and student. Read the latest information about how to design and maintain safer makerspaces, Fab Labs and STEM labs in both formal and informal educational settings. This book is easy to read and provides practical information with examples for instructors and administrators. If your community or school system is looking to design or modify a facility to engage students in safer hands-on STEM activities then this book is a must read!
The book addresses the following topics:
- Defining makerspaces, Fab Labs and STEM labs and describing their benefits for student learning.
- Explaining federal safety standards, negligence, tort law, and duty of care in terms instructors can understand.
- Photo: Davide Prete, The Crough Center
- Methods for safer professional practices and teaching strategies.
- Examples of successful STEM education programs and collaborative approaches for teaching STEM more safely.
- Safety Controls (engineering controls, administrative controls, personal protective equipment, maintenance of controls).
- Addressing general safety, biological and biotechnology, chemical, and physical hazards.
- How to deal with various emergency situations.
- Planning and design considerations for a safer makerspace, Fab Lab and STEM lab.
- Recommended instructional areas and equipment for makerspaces, Fab Labs and STEM labs.
- Example makerspace, Fab Lab and STEM lab floor plans.
- Descriptions and pictures of exemplar makerspaces, Fab Labs and STEM labs.
- Special section answering frequently asked safety questions!
This book is a must-have for technology educators at the elementary, middle, high school levels and more!
Authors Roy, K. R. & Love, T. S., 2017. ISBN-13: 978-0-692-92408-2. 169 pages, spiral bound.
Downloadable preview content:
Availability note: The stated lead time is for low volume orders (< 5 books). Larger quantities may take up to 2-3 weeks depending on stock.